The associated fire risks develop as grease laden air is directly drawn from those areas above ovens, fryers and grills where the cooking process is taking place, via an extract canopy, ductwork system and discharged to atmosphere.
As a result, the build-up of grease within the kitchen extract ventilation system is highly combustible and acts as a potential ignition source. All it takes is a small fire from a pan or cooker to be drawn into the system where flames and heat can very quickly spread through a building.
In addition to this, failure to ensure regular cleaning of kitchen grease extract systems can invalidate buildings insurance cover. We are aware of many cases where insurers have refused to pay out on millions of pounds worth of claims following fires where the insured has not complied with the warranties on their buildings insurance policies regarding regular cleaning of the grease extract systems.
This article was written by Andrew