Professional Local Exhaust Ventilation Assessments in Bath
The ventilation assessments we conduct in Bath follow the guidelines set by the Health and Safety Executive’s HSG258 (2011) Controlling Airborne Contaminants at Work, the Health & Safety at Work Act, and the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations.
Points to Remember About LEV
- The law requires every employer’s LEV system to undergo thorough examination and testing by a qualified person.
- The report produced after testing should include a list of actionable recommendations for the employer to follow.
- The report should also be reviewed by both the person in charge of health and safety and the employer’s engineer.
What Is Local Exhaust Ventilation?
As an engineering control system, the LEV is tasked with minimising the workplace’s exposure to airborne contaminants like gases, fumes, mists, vapours and dust.
LEV systems usually have the following components:
- Air Cleaner or Arrestor – The component that filters or cleans the air extracted by the system. It’s important to note that not all systems require filtering.
- Air Mover – This is usually a fan that propels air through the extraction system.
- Hood – This component acts as the entrance point of the contaminated air in the LEV system.
- Discharge – This component releases the air to a safe area.
- Ducting – This component relays the contaminated air from the hood to the discharge point.
- According to the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) 2002 (as amended) and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 or MHSWR, the employer is responsible to maintain their LEV system in good working condition.
- Under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008 (SMSR), LEV suppliers also hold some legal responsibility for the systems they supply.
- According to the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007, even LEV service providers have legal responsibilities with the systems they maintain.
Thorough Examination and Test
When we conduct meticulous examinations, we ensure every component is thoroughly tested. We also make sure the recommendations we make will keep the LEV system performing at peak condition, reducing exposure to air contaminants.
Book a testing here.
Interested in our services? You can talk to one of our experienced representatives on 0800 292 2400, send an email to email@example.com with details of your enquiry, or click Contact Us Today to complete our simple enquiry form. A member of our sales team will aim to contact you within 24 hours of receipt of your enquiry.