Professional LEV or Local Exhaust Ventilation Assessments in Bristol
All our LEV assessments in Bristol are done in accordance with the guidelines set by the Health and Safety Executive’s HSG258 (2011) Controlling Airborne Contaminants at Work, the Health & Safety at Work Act, and the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations.
Points to Remember About LEV
- It is required by law that every employer’s LEV system undergo thorough examination and testing by a competent person.
- The report made from the testing should include an actionable list of recommendations for the employer.
- The report should be seen by both the employer’s engineer and person in charge of health and safety.
What Is Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV)?
LEV is an engineering control system that is put in place to minimise airborne contaminants like dust, fumes, vapours, gases and mists in the workplace. These systems typically include the following components.
- Air Mover – This is an engine or a fan that moves the extraction system.
- Air Cleaner or Arrestor – This component cleans or filters the air extracted by the system. Some systems don’t require air cleaning.
- Discharge – This component releases the extracted air to a designated safe location.
- Ducting – This component relays the extracted air with the contaminants from the hood to the discharge point.
- Hood – This is the entrance point of the contaminated air in the LEV system.
- Under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) 2002 (as amended) and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 (MHSWR), an employer is responsible to maintain a functional LEV system.
- According to the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008 (SMSR), LEV suppliers are also legally responsible for their systems.
- LEV service providers also have legal responsibilities according to the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007.
Thorough Examination and Test
In our examination and recommendations, we make sure that the LEV system can continue to function in top condition, reducing exposure to airborne contaminants.
Interested in our services? You can talk to one of our experienced representatives on 0800 292 2400, send an email to email@example.com with details of your enquiry, or click Contact Us Today to complete our simple enquiry form. A member of our sales team will aim to contact you within 24 hours of receipt of your enquiry.